Lemon (Citrus Limonum) is a flowering plant, native to Asia, that is believed to have been brought to Europe around 200 A.D. It has been widely used in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine for its healing properties and as a remedy against cold.
Nowadays, Lemon essential oil derives from cold-pressing the lemon peel surrounding the fruit and is one of the most ‘’essential’’ oils used. It is considered a very versatile essential oil since it can be used in a variety of products ranging from beverages, skincare, perfumes and household cleaning.
What can Lemon essential oil do for skin & overall health?
1. Its anti-aging and antioxidant properties restore the skin cells and rejuvenate dull or tired-looking skin
2. Cleanses the toxins away and purifies the skin from pollutants
3. Hydrates and tones the skin making it look radiant
4. Due to its highly acid profile, it kills the bacteria that cause skin infection
5. Relieves nervous tension and helps reducing stress levels
6. Regulates sleeps and fights insomnia
7. Promotes hair grow, reduces dandruff and removes excess oil while leaving the hair smooth and shiny
How to use it?
1. Skin: Mix one drop of Lemon essential oil with a carrier oil such as jojoba or coconut oil oil and massage gently into the skin
2. Aromatherapy: Rub a few drops of Lemon essential oil on your temples and at the back of your neck to relieve symptoms of nervous tension
3. Dry scalp: Mix 5 drops of Lemon essential oil with 2 tbs of jojoba oil and gently massage into your scalp. Leave on for 1-2 hours and wash thoroughly with your regular shampoo
4. Oily hair: Dilute a few drops of lemon oil in warm water and rinse after washing your hair. Then rinse with plain water
5. Bath additive: Add a few drops of Lemon essential oil in a hot bath
Note: Lemon essential oil is phototoxic means that it makes your skin sensitive to the sun and therefore you should avoid applying it during the day.