Originally found in the Mediterranean mountains, lavender is a herb grown in rocky soils that it is believed to have been used for over 2500 years.
Lavender essential oil derives from the flowers of lavender plant, which is scientifically known as Lavandula angustifolia.
Its name derives from the Latin word "lavare", meaning "to wash" mainly because since ancient times the lavenders blossoms were widely used as a bath additive to scent the water. Today, lavender essential oil is extensively used in aromatherapy but it is also known for its medicinal properties as well.
What can Lavender essential oil do for skin & overall health?
1. It boosts the synthesis of collagen and heals skin tissues and therefore promotes wound healing, treats minor cuts and bruise
2. Relieves joint pain and soothes sore and tense muscles
3. Soothes skin irritations and sunburnt skin
4. Due to the terpenoids found in the oil, lavender extract has anxiolytic abilities. It relieves stress, anxiety and can be helpful in reducing headaches and nervous tension
5. Induces sleep and improves the quality of your sleep conditions Its antibacterial properties fight and protects your skin from infections that could cause acne break outs
6. Treats alopecia (hair loss) and promotes hair growth
How to use it?
1. Skin: Mix one drop of lavender essential oil with a carrier oil such as jojoba oil and massage gently into the skin
2. Aromatherapy: To relieve stress, tension and anxiety rub a few drops of lavender essential oil on your temples and at the back of your neck
3. Natural sleep aid: Spray a small amount of lavender essential oil on your pillow case and bedsheets to ensure a good night’s sleep
4. Bug repellent: Fill a small spray bottle with water and add 4 drops of lavender oil. Spray onto your clothes and body to prevent bug bites
5. Hair: Mix a few drops of lavender essential oil with coconut or olive oil and massage it into your scalp. Leave on overnight and wash the next morning with your regular shampoo. Or you could simply add one drop on any of your hair products before use
6. Bath additive: Add a few drops of lavender essential oil in a hot bath