At ROWSE, we approach beauty from the outside-in and the inside-out. We have extended our research from plants to superfruits and have found Baobab to be an amazing booster for skin. Here’s why you should include it in your daily beauty routine.
Native to the tropical regions of Africa, the fruit of these extremely old trees (some species live up to a thousand years) has been used for centuries by local women to benefit their skin and hair, as well as their general health.
The fruit of Baobab dries naturally on the branch. Inside the fruit’s hard, velvet-like shell are oil-rich seeds coated with the dry, white powdery pulp of the fruit.
According to the National Geographic blog, the fruit contains six times as much vitamin C as oranges, twice as much calcium as milk, and plenty of B vitamins, magnesium, iron, phosphorous, and antioxidants.
Baobab oil (or Adansonia digitata) is extracted by cold-pressing the oil-rich seeds. It’s safe to used the raw oil directly on the skin.
Baobab powder is a known super-food and can be used as food supplement as well as a beauty ingredient.
What does Baobab do for skin?
1. Rich in Vitamin C, it contributes to skin firmness and strength by boosting the production of collagen
2. Also full of Vitamins A, D, E and F, and rich in omega fatty acids, baobab helps repair damaged skin cells that cause fine lines and wrinkles
3. It’s ideal to treat dry skin and hair and help treat skin irritation and rejuvenate damaged skin cells. We also love it because it’s fast absorbent, leaving skin and hair without greasy residues
4. Baobab powder also contains 50% of fibre, making it a powerful superfood and prebiotic
How to use it?
1. As a face oil, for dehydrated, mature skin. Apply 2-3 drops gently onto damp skin night and/or morning or mix with your moisturizer
2. As a haircare product, massage your scalp before shampoo with a few drops of Baobab Oil to treat dry or irritated scalp. You can also use it as a leave-on conditioner
3. As a face mask, mix the powder of Baobab with a soothing vegetable oil such as Almond oil. Apply gently and leave for 15 min. Rinse with lukewarm water
4. As a superfood and to promote gut health, add a teaspoon of baobab powder to juices, yoghurts and mueslis